These Pineapple bars are delicious and have just a bit of tartness, sometimes I just want something that is not so sweet. They keep well, unless you have kids around then they disappear quick!
- 1 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple ( Do NOT drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups oatmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- For the filling, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well. Add the pineapple and its juice, and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool.
- For the crust, combine oatmeal, salt, brown sugar, flour, and baking powder together. work in butter until mixture is uniform.
- Reserve 1 1/4 cup of crumb mixture, and press the rest into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan, working up edges just slightly to help hold filling off of the edge of the pan.
- Pour filling over oatmeal mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over filling.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. cool and cut into bars.