Healthier Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Muffins
I love finding new recipes that are lighter in calories, fat and sugar but still have great texture and taste. This recipe fits the bill at only 153 calories only 4.4g fat 27.2 sugars.
However, I wanted to add a crumb topping, just because I like the crumby texture, so that will add a little additional calories. But a girl just wants something bad sometimes, right?
These are moist and so flavorful.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour ( I didnt have what pastry flour so I used 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 2 small or 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I use store brand)
- 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips (I like mini)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and egg whites; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until [just combined].
- Remember not to over mix the batter -- we want moist muffins! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. The batter will probably reach the top of each muffin liner, but that's okay -- we're making big muffins! Alternatively you can reduce the size and bake 15 muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Whole wheat pastry flour is a low-protein flour that is made from whole grains. Many cookbooks that focus on whole grains encourage bakers to use this type of flour because it is much softer and more finely-textured than regular whole wheat flour, and baked goods made with it will have a similar consistency to those made with regular white flour. A good substitution in this case is to mix half all purpose flour with half whole wheat flour in your recipe. http://bakingbites.com/
Sorry I lost the photos with the Streusel Topping
Crumb Streusel Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
I adapted this recipe from The Ambitious Kitchen
Pingback: Wordless Wednesday – Link Party | From Evija with Love
These sound absolutely wonderful! Kind of hungry now after seeing this.. Thanks for Hosting at the Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday! I look forward to seeing you again next week!
Jingle Jangle Jungle
Thanks Mary for stopping by for a visit, I appreciate it. Hope you enjoy your day!
Hi Karren, This is something I’ve never tried; zucchini and banana together…Now that is a combination, especially chocolate chips! These look fantastic. The kids are going to love these! Thank you for hosting WW. It’s a pleasure cohosting with you! Have a wonderful week!
Pingback: Wordless Wednesday Link Party | Moms Who Can
Hi Christine, you will have to let me know how they vote, we sure enjoyed them!
Glad to have you as Co-Host this month as well, my pleasure!
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Yum Karren, these look great! I eat muffins for b’fast every morning and they always have to have chocolate chips in them! That’s just how I roll. I will give these a whirl.
These muffins sound not only healthy but yummy as well. Love the combinations. Thanks for hosting WW. I’m proud to be a co-host. Have a great day!
Well I hope these fit into your weekly recipes, they are delicious!!!
Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great weekend!
Hi Pamela, actually they are really good! You are welcome for the WW and happy to have you Co-Hosting with us this month!
Hope you enjoy your weekend, Karren xoxo
Looks delicious. Thanks for adding this to the Healthy Living Link Party. We hope you will come back next Wednesday.
Thanks Elaine for stopping by as well. It was fun to stop by our party too!!
Hope you have a great week!